Duranbah Beach provided the playing field for SUP surfers on day three of the 2017 Australian SUP Titles. Today’s round of competition saw the field narrowed across five divisions, setting the stage for a huge day of finals tomorrow.
The morning’s proceedings kicked off with the Over 50 Men in the water which saw Adam Robinson (NSW), David Stretton (NSW) and Jamie Ralston finish (WA) first in their heats. The three revelled in the clean two foot (1m) waves on offer and have secured themselves a place in tomorrow’s semi finals.
In the Open Women’s division, surfers who finished third and fourth in round one yesterday were given a second chance via the requalification round. New South Wales athlete and 2017 Open Women’s Technical Race runner up Terrene Black was on fire in her heat and remained busy with some big forehand turns seeing her claiming two seven point rides to secure a spot in the semi final. Terrene will face fierce competition tomorrow as she goes up against 2016 Open Women’s Champion Shakira Westdorp (QLD) and 2016 runner up Hannah Finlay-Jones (NSW).
Today’s round of competition also saw redemption heats in the Open Men’s division where Ty Judson (NSW), Wes Fry (WA), Blair Moore (NSW) and Matt Takle (VIC) all proved themselves worthy of a place in tomorrow’s stacked quarter finals. Judson was the highlight of the round, working a walling right hander all the way to the inside section with some big forehand carves to claim the single highest score of the day a near perfect 9.25 (out of a possible 10.00).
Competitors in the Over 40 Women’s division were also granted a second chance, with four surfers battling it out for the remaining two spots in the semi finals. South Australian Erika Oemcke finished first, progressing through alongside Madeline Rayner (NSW).
Tomorrow will see the event wrapped up for 2017, five new SUP Surfing Champions crowned and an overall state winner.
For more information, visit: http://www.australiansuptitles.com
Event Dates: 14th -18th November 2017 Schedule:
- Tuesday 14th November:Opening Ceremony and meetings
- Wednesday 15th November 2017: Competition Period for all SUP & Prone Marathon Racing divisions (20km), Community Marathon Racing (20km) & Flat-Water Sprint Races (200m)
- Wednesday 15th November 2017:Presentation for SUP & Prone Marathon Racing divisions (20km), Community Marathon Racing (20km) & Flat-Water Sprint Races (200m) divisions
- Thursday 16th November 2017: Competition Period for all SUP & Prone Technical Racing divisions
- Thursday 16th – Saturday 18th November 2017: Competition Period for all SUP Surfing divisions
The 2017 Australian SUP Titles is proudly supported by Australia’s Gold Coast, Hydralyte Sports, Currumbin RSL, Toyota, The International Surfing Association, Surfing Queensland and Surfing Australia.